Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Trip to the ER


Last night I ended up in the emergency room.  As with many of us in the bleeding disorder community, it is always an experience. Last night was no exception.  To begin, I had a “girl’s day out” with Emma, my 10 month old granddaughter.  I picked her up at her house and her daddy, my son Eric, had put her in the car seat which is in my back seat.  I had parked close to the curb and was stepping down to lean in to kiss Emma good morning and stepped just the wrong way and felt something in my back zing so hard it took my breath away and I saw stars for a few seconds. Not wanting to ruin my day with Emma, I ignored what happened and we went about our day.  It was great.  But I felt my back the entire time.  After taking her back home to Eric, I went home to take a nap.  I am learning there is a reason we have children why we are young!!!!  But when I woke up, I couldn’t move.  I hurt so badly. Then because of the weather change I developed a cough and it hurt my back even more, so I decided to drive myself to the ER. That’s when things became even worse.  I saw a Nurse Practitioner, who teaches nurses as well as works in the ER.  First off, she got mad at me because as she walked in my phone rang.  I answered because I knew it was my ride and I needed to tell him to park.   I knew this was rude behavior and I did apologize and still do, but all I can say was that I hurt, I had just received a shot of valium in my butt and I wasn’t making great decisions. So she got mad and walked off.  When she finally came back into the room I told her I was sorry, she told me how rude I was, I continued to tell her how sorry I was and finally got sick of it and told her I was still her patient and her job was to treat me not give me a lesson in values.  OK, that was done.  I had already told her I had gone through all the NSAIDS that were available to me and there were no more, but she kept saying, she wished she could give me some.  I said, I also wished I could take them. OK, now guess what she told me to take? You got it. Aspirin!!!! And since aspirin increase bleeding, those with bleeding problems don’t need any extra help, we bleed just fine.  It’s getting us to stop that is the issue.  So now I am telling a medical professional why I can’t take aspirin because I have a bleeding disorder. Then she asks about my factor and if I have a port. I told her no, I infuse myself and she seems shocked that a patient would ever do something like this without the help of medical professionals.  Thank goodness, many of us have been trained to be independent and not depend on the medical community or we would really be in trouble.  Then she asks me “when did I get my bleeding disorder?”  By that time I realize it is time to get my prescription and get out of there.  Ladies from the bleeding disorder community, we still have lots of work to do.  I can’t believe that in 2011, this is still going on.  I think it is time to do more research.  Any volunteers to take part? 

No comments:

Post a Comment